Seasonal Starter: Spinach Strawberry Salad w/ Homemade Dressing
Summer is a great time to experiment with fresh seasonal fruits in salads. Strawberries and spinach are a perfect match. The sweet juice seeping from those red berries mixes so well with fresh spinach, and almonds add a nice crunch.
What’s more, you can make your own dressing to go along with it! This recipe calls for a unique combination of sesame & poppy seeds, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and a few other unusual ingredients. Try this one while there are still fresh strawberries at the farmer’s market!
Spinach Strawberry Salad with Homemade Dressing
(makes 4 servings)
- 1/4 teaspoonWorcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoonminced onion
- 10 ouncesfresh spinach – rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 quartstrawberries – cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cupalmonds, blanched and slivered
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.
SKM: below-content placeholder