Skillet meals are the savior of busy weeknights. One pan and a dinner that’s done in under thirty? Yes, please! You can take some chicken breasts and a couple of seasonings and call it a skillet meal, but the true magic is when you bring together a handful of ingredients and end up with something that’s so yummy it sparks cravings almost as soon as you’ve finished washing the skillet. Exhibit A – our Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet. It’s easy to make (SO easy) but that creamy sauce is something you won’t soon forget.
I think everyone knows that spinach and artichoke are a winning combination, but they belong in so much more than party dip. This skillet pairs them with a luscious creamy base that’s built on flavors like butter and garlic and made velvety with heavy cream, cream cheese, and sour cream. It’s a little rich but not overly indulgent – perfect for a weeknight dinner when you want something that’ll hit the spot.
I love this over white rice but it’s great over pasta as well… and I’m sure it would work just fine with mashed potatoes or polenta! In other words, this is so delicious that you’re not going to care too much what you serve it with (if anything at all). Anything that goes with it is really just a vehicle to get more of that yummy sauce to your mouth.
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
5m prep time
20m cook time
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 (12 oz) jar artichoke hearts in water, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pound chicken to an even thickness and slice each breast in half lengthwise to form two thin filets. Season with salt and pepper and toss in flour to coat, shaking off any excess.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken on both sides until cooked through and golden brown, 5-8 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add butter to skillet. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in cream cheese and sour cream. Whisk until smooth and melted. Add cream and whisk once more.
- Stir in parmesan, red pepper flake, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in spinach a handful at a time until wilted, then add artichoke hearts.
- Return chicken to skillet and spoon sauce over the top until chicken has warmed. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.