We are absolutely in love with this fun and zesty twist on an old favorite! Three bean salad has been a staple side dish around our house for years, so we were excited to try this southwestern version. The traditional sugar and vinegar dressing is swapped out for honey and citrus, giving this side dish a delightfully sweet and tangy flavor without being too overwhelming.
This colorful dish reminds us of summer, and would make the absolute perfect side to bring along to your next grill out! We just love all of the fresh herbs and veggies represented here. If you have leftovers, this salad makes a great chip dip or taco topping. Of course, you can always add a bit of rice or quinoa to make it a more filling main dish or burrito stuffing. Go ahead and give this recipe a try, you’ll be surprised at how flavorful and satisfying it is!
Southwestern Citrus Three Bean Salad
Serves 6-8; 15 min + 1 hour
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, diced
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange and lime juices, cumin, honey, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over the bean mixture, toss to combine.
- Chill at least one hour before serving. Stir to incorporate dressing, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Garden Grazer.