This salad is absolutely delicious, and trust us when we say that that is high praise coming from us. Seriously, we like salads just as much as the next person, but to find one that we have cravings for and want to eat again and again? That’s a real contender in our book.
This salad is packed with nutrients and is great for you not one of those meals where you think you’re being good, but are accidentally ingesting tons of sugars and carbs. With beets, squash and chickpeas, you’re getting magnesium, iron, protein and fiber. Sign us up for seconds!
Roasted Veggie Chickpea Salad
- 3 bunches arugula leaves or mixed greens
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 cups feta, crumbled
- 5 peeled and pre-cooked beets (or roast beets yourself), chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry or plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400∫ F.
- Toss cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Spread out on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Transfer butternut squash to a large (serving) bowl and add chopped beets, arugula and halved tomatoes. Add in crumbled feta and chickpeas.
- In a small bowl or glass, whisk together olive oil and orange juice until combined.
- Drizzle salad dressing over peas and vegetables and gently toss together until everything is coated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve immediately.
Note: if roasting beets at home, place beets in a baking dish and 1/2 cup water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400∫ F for 50-60 minutes, or until fork tender. Let cool before peeling.
Recipe adapted from MetroSKM: below-content placeholder