Looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal? We’ve got you covered!
I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy dinner recipes. And if they use the slow cooker, all the better! There’s nothing simpler than tossing a few ingredients in the crockpot, setting it on low, and walking away. These slow cooker sausages & peppers are the epitome of quick, easy dinner prep, and they taste amazing as well! If you’re looking for a low-key meal the whole family will enjoy, this is the recipe for you. Check out the video below to see how easily it all comes together.
This recipe doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, and that’s just fine by me! Sometimes the laundry list of spices for these slow cooker recipes is exhausting. For this dish, you just need peppers, onions, sausages, whole-grain mustard, garlic, and beer. Since the ingredient list is so small, go ahead and splurge on the good stuff – it really will make all the difference.
You can use any beer you like in this recipe, but most people choose a light beer like a lager or a pilsner when cooking & marinating brats. Beerzerker.com suggests using Miller Lite, but depending on the season, you may want to branch out. In the spring, Miller Lite Lager is great. For summer, try a citrus IPA. In the fall, an Oktoberfest beer would be festive! For the winter, try going with something darker like a stout.
These sausages will cook up right in the slow cooker, but they won’t have that nice crispiness that comes from the grill. Never fear! This is a quick fix – simply heat up some oil in a skillet and sear the sausages on either side before serving. I love having these on buns with my favorite sauces and sides, but you can certainly serve them up on a platter and eat them that way. Check out the recipe below for the full ingredient list and step-by-step instructions!
Slow Cooker Sausages & Peppers
10m prep time
6h cook time
- 3 medium bell peppers (assorted colors) cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds uncooked Italian or bratwurst sausages
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 10 bratwurst buns or small sandwich rolls (optional)
- Place peppers, onion, beer, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker, stirring to combine. Lay sausages on top of the peppers.
- Cover and cook on low until sausages are cooked and peppers are tender - about 6 hours.
- Optional: If you like your bratwurst crispy, heat up some oil in a pan and sear the sausages on both sides before serving.
- Serve on rolls or on a platter with your favorite sides!
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn.