Try this easy, delicious, unique slow cooker recipe!
I was first introduced to Mexican street corn about ten years ago when I traveled around the Southwest over the summer. When I had it, the corn was served from a street vender who scooped up corn into a cup and topped it with all sorts of things – sour cream, chili powder, lime juice, queso fresco, and cilantro, among other ingredients. It was love at first bite.
Mexican street corn, while certainly delicious, can be a lot of work especially just for a side dish. What if you could make an entire meal out of it, though? That’s exactly what this slow cooker corn chowder set out to do!
By adding chicken and a few other ingredients, creamy, dreamy, flavorful Mexican street corn is transformed into a meal the whole family will love! What’s even better about this recipe is that it’s a slow cooker meal. With just a few minutes of prep time, you can dump everything into the slow cooker and forget about it until dinner time!
This is a pretty straight forward slow cooker recipe. You’ll start by cutting the chicken breasts up into 2-3 pieces so they cook faster and more evenly. Then, add chicken, garlic, chicken stock, creamed cans of corn, fire-roasted corn, black beans, diced green chiles, chili powder, paprika, and cumin to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours. Then, remove the chicken and shred it. Return the chicken to the slow cooker, along with cheese and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve with your favorite toppings! I suggest trying it out with fresh lime, fresh cilantro, diced onion, hot sauce, sour cream, and/or avocado.
Slow Cooker Mexican Street Corn Chowder
Makes 6 servings
10m prep time
3h cook time
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans (14.75oz each) cream style corn
- 1 can (14.75 ounces) fire-roasted corn (or regular canned corn), drained
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 ounces) fire-roasted diced green chiles, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional additions: fresh lime, fresh cilantro, diced onion, hot sauce, sour cream, avocado
- Spray a large slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2-3 pieces so it can cook faster/more evenly.
- Add chicken, garlic, chicken stock, creamed cans of corn, fire-roasted corn, black beans, diced green chiles, chili powder, paprika, and cumin to the slow cooker.
- Stir well. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours or low for 4-6 hours, until the chicken shreds easily.
- Remove the chicken and shred. While shredding the chicken add in the freshly grated cheese and heavy whipping cream.
- Return the shredded chicken and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron.