The slow cooker works its usual magic once again!
If there’s one thing we can’t live without, other than our Instant Pot, it’s our slow cooker. It’s been a faithful kitchen friend for countless meals; it’s a weeknight necessity or a lazy weekend luxury. There’s no end to what our slow cooker can do, no meal – sweet or savory – that it can’t complete. So once again, we’ve turned to our slow cooker for an amazing meal, one that is rich, hearty, and wonderfully delicious. We suspect that this recipe will be familiar to many, but for those who’ve not yet enjoyed a green chili chicken casserole, well, you’re in for a truly delicious meal.
Even when using a slow cooker it is important to build layers of flavor, and that starts with seasoning the chicken. We’ve used garlic, onion, and chili powders, along with cumin and of course salt and pepper. Green chilis, diced onion, and enchilada sauce help to add flavor and keep the chicken nice and tender as the casserole cooks. The chicken is then shredded and stirred, then, once again building layers of flavor, we add some sour cream that melts beautifully into the sauce. Cooked rice gives the casserole additional substance, for a meal that is as hearty as it is delicious. Naturally, we need cheese, and a nice cheddar melted on top then sprinkled with fresh slices of green onions is the perfect way to finish our casserole.
If you’re worried about spiciness, you can make your green chili chicken casserole as spicy or as mild as suits your family’s tastes. A mild green chili will add more flavor than heat, making it family-friendly. We’re so ready to dive into this dish that’s spent ours filling our kitchen – the whole house – with an aroma that has everyone asking when dinner will be ready. Just grab a ladle and scoop out a bowlful of the most belly-warming green chili chicken casserole ever – this is a meal that will satisfy a hungry crowd and have everyone looking for a second helping!
Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chile Casserole
Serves 6-8; 15 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (19 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Add chicken to a 6-qt or larger slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and chili powder, followed by the onion, green chiles, and enchilada sauce.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- When cooking time is over, use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir in sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, and green onion.
- Add cooked rice and stir. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and cook until cheese has melted, about 15 more minutes. (If your rice is cold, you'll need to cook longer, about 45 minutes on high.) Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker.