Looking to switch up your barbecue routine? We get it. While we love our tried and true BBQ favorites, sometimes we crave a slightly different flavor or a less time-consuming method to get all that tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone meat. Enter: the slow cooker. Just because the meat benefits from cooking low and slow for hours on end doesn’t mean you need to be fussing over it the whole time; cooking your dish – in this case, pulled pork – in the slow cooker means you get to reap the rewards of perfectly cooked meat without any of the hassle. Turn on your slow cooker and forget about it!
And this isn’t your average pulled pork, no siree. We amped up the flavor and did something a little different this time – we made barbecue peach pulled pork! That’s right, adding a can of (or fresh) peaches will do wonders for your pork, making it perfectly sweet, with just the right amount of added spice and tang from whatever barbecue sauce you end up using. Trust us, this is such a great spin on a classic. We like it in sandwiches and tacos, but it’s also just as great on its own – it doesn’t need anything else to dress it up or make it better.
BBQ Peach Pulled Pork
15 minutes active; 4+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 3-4 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 oz.) can peaches in heavy syrup, juices reserved
- 1 (18 oz.) bottle preferred barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Whisk together salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl, then rub mixture all over pork shoulder.
- Place pork in slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir peaches and syrup together with barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and crushed garlic cloves.
- Pour mixture over pork shoulder, then cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8-10, or until pork is tender and easily shreddable.
- Use two forks to shred pork, then stir everything into peach BBQ sauce until completely coated.