The famous shipwreck stew is so-named because of its haphazard appearance. It’s mixture of pantry-busting ingredients makes this a great dinner to make when you’ve run out of ideas or maybe need to hit the grocery store for provisions. Likewise, a version of this hearty meal can be found in our shipwreck macaroni and cheese recipe. This one is great for feeding a big crowd and is real hit with kids thanks to the cheesy sauce. Even adults love this comfort food dinner!
The base of this recipe is some browned ground beef and cooked onion and bell pepper. Combine these in a large skillet or stockpot along with the contents of a 14 ounce macaroni and cheese dinner box and some milk. Some spices and some diced tomatoes add more flavor. I bought the tomatoes with herbs in for a little more flavor.
To round out the veggies a bag of mixed frozen vegetables does the trick nicely. This particular mix included corn, carrots, peas, green beans, and lima beans. However, you can use whichever ones you love the most (or happen to have in the freezer).
Cover with a lid and allow this cook together before adding some cheese and some fresh parsley. And then get ready for some major compliments from the family on this hearty, one-pan dinner.
Shipwreck Mac & Cheese
15m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 oz) package macaroni and cheese mix
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Brown beef over medium heat, then remove from pan. Wipe out skillet and add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until softened.
- Add beef back to pan along with macaroni and cheese ingredients, diced tomatoes, milk, frozen vegetables, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook over medium-low for 13-17 minutes or until noodles are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes for cheese to melt. Garnish with parsley just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Heinz.