The only thing better than one quesadilla is many quesadillas and with this method, you can feed an entire crowd with very little work. (Or just yourself; don’t discount that option!) Using your oven and a sheet pan, you get wonderfully crispy tortillas this way and you don’t have to stand over a hot stove to get there. You also get a delicious melty filling, of course, but this is versatile enough that you can use this method with whatever filling strikes your fancy!
You start by layering a sheet pan with flour tortillas. You’ll want the ones around the edges to hang halfway over the pan and halfway over the edge. (More on that later.)
And then you line them with lots of delicious things. We’ve got cheese and chicken and salsa verde…
… and then black beans, and green onion, and more cheese.
And then you fold all the tortillas over to close everything in. (You’ll need to place another tortilla or two in the center to cover it all.)
The trick is to brush both the pan and the top of the tortillas with oil, and then put another sheet pan on top of the quesadillas to weigh everything down while it bakes.
That trick in and of itself ensures everything gets nice and crispy, but you also remove the top baking sheet for the last few minutes of baking time to make sure it’s all a beautiful golden brown.
All that’s left to do is slice, serve, and enjoy, and I can promise you that you’ll enjoy these!
Sheet Pan Chicken Quesadillas
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 (8-inch wide) flour tortillas (soft taco size)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup salsa verde, plus more for serving
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 16 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Sour cream and guacamole, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the center.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Arrange six of the tortillas around the edges of the baking sheet so that half is on the baking sheet and half hangs over the edge. Place two tortillas in the middle of the baking sheet so you have no gaps.
- Sprinkle the tortillas on the baking sheet with half of the cheese (don't put cheese on parts of tortilla hanging off edge). Top evenly with shredded chicken, salsa verde, black beans, green onion, and finally remaining cheese.
- Fold tortillas over to cover filling. Place the remaining two tortillas in the center to cover the top and brush tortillas with remaining oil.
- Place a second baking sheet on top of the tortillas and press to flatten. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove top baking sheet and continue baking until golden-brown, about 10 more minutes.
- Cut into squares or triangles and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Midwest Foodie Blog.