Pizza and potatoes hold a secure place in the Comfort Food category in our house, so when we found a way to merge these two together in a kind of “fast food fusion” recipe, everyone cheered “Horray!” Want to know why? Because we made a tater tot crust topped with our favorite pizza toppings and turned it into something amazing. This is the exact opposite of healthy a cauliflower crust! Since we don’t eat like this all of the time, we can easily justify the occasional outrageous indulgence when it comes to our favorite fast foods. A Tater Tot Pizza is a ridiculously fun way to bring two classic favorites together in one cast iron skillet.
We’re using only four simple ingredients, tater tots, marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni – that’s it! Just four ingredients, and most of it we already have in our refrigerator anyway. The tater tots get extra crispy and golden as they bake in the oven, making the perfect crust for melted cheese and pepperoni.
Everyone was looking for something fun for dinner on a Friday night and we thought this tater tot pizza would fit the bill. It’s a little bit wacky, a little bit silly, but we can tell you that it practically disappeared from the skillet in a matter of minutes. A little imagination and the right ingredients came together to make a memorable meal, one that was fun to eat and super easy to make.
Tater Tot Pizza
Serves 4-6; 30 minutes
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package sliced pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange tater tots evenly in a cast iron skillet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 375°F.
- Mash baked tater tots with a wooden spoon until they form a solid crust. Spread marinara sauce over tater tots, then top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese has melted and tater tot crust is golden. Slice and serve directly from skillet.