We’ve always had a thing for boxed stuffing mix. Maybe it’s the seasoning blend or the teeny-tiny cubes of bread… whatever it is, that stuff sure is delicious. And while maybe we’ve been known to cook up a box and eat just that for dinner, it’s a good plan to get some veggies in most of the time. This simple casserole does just that! It takes the glory of packaged stuffing mix and combines it with a whole lot of healthy veggies, and we just love it.
This casserole is literally packed with veggies. It has butternut squash, zucchini, onions, carrots, and water chestnuts. Those are mixed in with some convenient cream of chicken soup and sour cream to keep it creamy and comforting. (You can always use a different soup to keep this vegetarian!) The stuffing sandwiches that whole mixture and it comes out of the oven as one wonderful, flavorful, bubbly bake. Enjoy!
Stuffing Squash Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, sliced
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 container (8 oz) sour cream
- 1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 package (8 oz) herb-seasoned stuffing
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Put sliced squash and zucchini in a large Dutch oven. (Slices should be about 1/4-inch thick.) Add chopped onion, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, stir together grated carrots, chicken soup, sour cream, water chestnuts, and remaining salt. Fold in squash mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together stuffing and melted butter. Spoon half of this mixture into prepared baking dish. Spoon squash mixture over stuffing in baking dish, and top with remaining stuffing mixture.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!