Nachos are the kind of guilty-pleasure snack food that’s almost too easy to love. So if you could take that nacho flavor and incorporate it into a not-so-guilty chicken dinner, wouldn’t you do it?
Yeah, us too.
See, this easy skillet recipe has a lot of good stuff going on. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are stuffed with a combination of cheeses, jalapeõs, and spices, and then dredged in a tortilla chip coating before they’re crisped up in a skillet. (And, no, we don’t know why we hadn’t thought of using tortilla chips to coat chicken before, but there’s no stopping us now.) The chicken emerges crispy and juicy and so flavorful. Each bite is filled with crunch, just the right amount of spice, bright herbs, and ooey-gooey cheese.
It’s an easy skillet weeknight meal, and a festive way to doctor up some basic chicken breasts. We promise no one will complain when you set these on the table!
Stuffed Nacho Chicken
30 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, and green onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cut a 1-inch wide slit into the thick end of each chicken breast and carefully cut down into the center of the breast to form a pocket, being careful not to slice all the way through. Fill each pocket with the cheese mixture. Press to seal shut.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Place eggs in a separate shallow dish, and crushed tortilla chips in yet another.
- Dredge the chicken lightly in the flour, followed by the eggs, and then the tortilla crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Gently place chicken breasts in the pan and cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken over and place entire skillet in oven. Bake for 12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!