We’re jazzing up a couple of cans of baked beans and turning them into a sensational summer side dish. Southern-style baked beans are what every cookout or barbecue needs to really make a classic summer meal come together. Our version is super easy to make and will disappear almost instantly once set out on the table. We can’t think of a more beloved summer cookout classic than baked beans.
There’s virtually no effort required here, just mixing of a few ingredients, like condiment staples that we all have in our fridge or pantry, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire. Then the beans need a good hour or so in the oven. And one ingredient we simply can’t forget to mention is the crisp bacon topping that makes this dish downright drool-worthy. It’s universally understood that a layer of bacon is always the right choice when it comes to a side dish like this.
When we think of summertime cookouts, of course, there’s hot dogs, burgers, corn on the cob, and there absolutely must be beans. So, if you’re cooking at home, going to a party, or enjoying a picnic in the park, these beans should definitely be on the menu. Southern style baked beans are sure to be a hit at any event, and they’ll taste like you’ve slow cooked them for hours when really you’ve used some clever shortcuts to whip up something amazing. Be prepared to share your recipe with some adoring fans!
Southern Style Baked Beans
Serves 8-10; 90 minutes
- 2 (28 oz) cans baked beans with bacon
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 5-6 slices thick cut bacon, diced ½ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine baked beans, ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour bean mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Place bacon slices evenly over top of beans. Baked uncovered for 60-90 minutes or until bacon is crispy and cooked through. Serve warm.