You all know we love a good slow cooker meal; the crockpot makes it easy to get a healthy dinner on the table with little effort. But one thing we don’t love quite so much is mushy veggies… and this recipe for Slow Cooker Soy Chicken solves that problem!
This recipe isn’t an entire meal in the slow cooker, true, but it’s an incredibly flavorful and easy way of cooking up a protein in the slow cooker and then quickly stir-frying some fresh veggies quickly at the end of the day. In less than 15 minutes of work, you’ll have some mouthwatering soy glazed chicken and some crisp and healthy veggies on the side. It’s a real winner.
The sauce that simmers in the slow cooker is out-of-this-world delicious and it’s so good spooned over the tender chicken, veggies, and a little white rice. We know as well as anyone it can be hard to get a healthy meal on the table, but this easy recipe shows that there’s always time to eat healthy… and no need to resort to takeout!
Slow Cooker Soy Chicken
Serves 4; 15 minutes active, 4 hours inactive
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 2 heads baby bok choy, leaves separated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, mix together the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, fish sauce, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook on high until the chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving, cook the rice according to package directions. Transfer chicken to a plate. Pour the cooking liquid into a large skillet and boil until slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a separate large skillet over medium-high heat. Add snow peas, bok choy, bell pepper, scallions, and garlic and cook until vegetables are tender, tossing frequently, about 4-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with the chicken and rice. Drizzle cooking liquid over the top. Enjoy!