Jalapeño poppers are a favorite snack for so many occasions. There’s just something about that cheesy, spicy, crunchy combination that’s hard to beat. And they’re entirely too poppable… they’re gone before you know it! While there’s always a place in our heart for the original, it certainly doesn’t hurt to try out some other options with those same flavors. And so these Cheesy Jalapeño Potato Poppers were born! And they’re amazing. They’re totally delicious and just as poppable.
We don’t know if we’ve ever seen a finer use of leftover mashed potatoes. They help mellow the bite of the jalapeño so these are a great option for your friends who can’t quite handle the heat. While the outside of these flavorful little morsels is crunchy, that first crispy bite gives way to a soft and fluffy interior. They’re less gooey than a traditional jalapeño popper, but there is still more than enough of that satisfying stringy, melty cheese. They’re an all-around awesome snack.
Jalapeño Potato Poppers
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 4 green onions, minced
- oil for frying
- kosher salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, egg, cheese, flour, jalapeño, and green onions until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil to 350°F. Once hot, drop small balls of batter into the oil. Fry until deep golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer poppers to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Immediately sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Enjoy!