We don’t want to toot our own horn too much, but we think this “casserole” is absolutely genius. It’s an easy and impressive dessert that’s filled with layers and layers of delicate cinnamon rolls and tender sugared apples. We don’t know why we never thought to use cinnamon roll dough like this before, but you can’t stop us now. Let’s get layering!
To form this layered concoction, all you have to do is cut the rolls in half lengthwise and flatten them out before arranging them in a single layer in the baking dish. You top that with apples that have been tossed in cinnamon and sugar, and then add a little drizzle of caramel sauce for good measure. Keep on layering until you have three layers of cinnamon roll dough and pop the whole thing in the oven. When it emerges, it’s one beautiful dessert casserole full of sweet and spiced flavor. It’s a must try!
Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- 2 cans refrigerated cinnamon rolls, plus icing that comes in package
- 4 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch until well combined.
- Cut cinnamon rolls in half lengthwise so they form two complete circles. Dust fingers lightly with flour. Press out cinnamon rolls with your fingers until thin, then arrange in a layer in the bottom of the baking dish, pushing rolls slightly up the sides. Press rolls into each other to seal together.
- Spread half of apple filling over the rolls and drizzle with some caramel sauce. Repeat with another layer of flattened cinnamon rolls, then repeat with the remaining apple filling, and more caramel sauce. Finish with a final layer of flattened cinnamon rolls.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake until golden grown, 10-15 minutes. Cool 30 minutes, then drizzle icing from packages over the top. Slice into servings and enjoy!