Who knew five minutes was all you needed to make such a yummy dinner??
With just five essential ingredients, this dish is super yummy and easy to whip up, making it perfect for any weeknight dinner, when you can’t be bothered to stand over a hot stove, but you don’t want to sacrifice flavor or eat something boring. This yummy slow cooker Hawaiian chicken saves the day, since it’s just a handful of ingredients tossed in the slow cooker, then you get to sit back and relax before enjoying this tasty meal.
With barbecue sauce and crushed pineapple as the base, we added garlic and bell pepper to spruce things up and add more flavor. By cooking in the BBQ sauce, the chicken stays tender and moist, and the bell pepper softens up perfectly. Whether you decide to reduce the remaining liquids into a thick sauce is up to you, but we tried it and were not disappointed! Don’t let a boring, bland dinner ruin your night – this slow cooker meal’s got you covered!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
5 minutes active; 2 hours inactive
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- white rice, garnish
- hot sauce, optional
- Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels, then season generously with salt and pepper. Place in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Top chicken with pineapple and red bell pepper, then add crushed garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour barbecue sauce and hot sauce, if using, over everything, then cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-6, until cooked through.
- Once cooked through, remove chicken from slow cooker and serve with rice, garnished with cilantro. Top with remaining sauce and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Here Comes The Sun