Brussels sprout and spinach join forces in this delicious pie.
One of our favorite fall vegetables is the Brussels sprout. Gone are the days when this leafy green was considered abominable, a horror to children and adults who dreaded the slimy green vegetable. Brussels sprouts are back and they’re as delicious as they always were. It’s not that Brussels sprouts are inherently bad, it’s really about how they’re cooked. Steamed Brussels sprouts are also quickly becoming a Fall staple in our house, as they become tender yet remain bright and flavorful through the steaming process. We couldn’t resist adding them to this recipe, and the result couldn’t have been more satisfying!
We quickly steam a batch of Brussels sprouts to help soften them up, and this process also helps them to retain that bright green color, which we really wanted here. To really amp up the vegetable game in our pie, we’ve added fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped, and then mixed them with a combination of Greek yogurt, milk, and eggs. Parmesan cheese brings a nice saltiness to the creamy filling and helps reduce the amount of salt we need to add. We’ve used a scratch-made pie crust here; it adds to the rustic look and taste we were going for, but absolutely feel free to use a premade pie crust. Click here for our No-Fuss Pie Crust recipe.
Spinach and Brussels sprouts have spent far too many years as loathed vegetables so now it’s time to bring them out to shine in all kinds of delicious dishes. This Brussels sprout and spinach pie is a great way to bring a fresh perspective to critics (our family members!). Our Brussels sprouts and spinach pie is perfect for brunch or even as a weeknight dinner. It’s fairly simple to prepare – especially if you’re using a pre-made crust – and it’s filled with all kinds of goodness, making it easy to get everyone to eat their vegetables!
Brussels Sprout and Spinach Pie
Serves 6-8; 1 hour 30 minutes
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, cleaned and stemmed
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 9-inch round pie crust
- Steam Brussels sprouts, 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Layer pie crust into 9-inch round baking dish.
- Mix yogurt, milk, eggs, ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, spinach, green onions, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a bowl until well combined.
- Pour spinach mixture into pie crust. Gently scatter steamed Brussels sprouts into pie shell. Scatter remaining Parmesan cheese over top. Place baking dish on a sheet pan, cover pie with foil and transfer to oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes then remove foil and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven to cool for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Recipe adapted from Dinner, then Dessert.