We’re drooling just thinking about this gravy sauce.
When we really want to impress dinner guests, or just want to take our weeknight dinner game up a notch, then a simple yet elegant meal is just the recipe we’re looking for. This isn’t a recipe for the faint of heart, as the garlic in this dish is definitely going to be the real star of the show. True garlic lovers will rejoice at this luxurious sauce drizzled generously over chicken thighs for a meal that is knock-your-socks-off good. This is actually a pretty simple meal to prepare but one that tastes like you’ve studied at a culinary school; plenty of garlic adds a ton of flavor, but the bone-in with skin chicken thighs are about as delicious and rich as can get. We really love how this comes together and here’s how we do it.
We like to use chicken thighs here, but any skin-on chicken pieces will do. Chicken thighs have more dark meat and that means they naturally have more flavor, so when we keep the skin on and the bone in, we’re really going full-flavor with just the meat alone. The next step is to add garlic, butter, and broth to make a savory sauce that will perfume your kitchen with an aroma that will start everyone’s mouths to water.
We know there’s a ton of garlic here, so you’ll likely want to make this with family or a group of friends that really like each other, but don’t let the amount of garlic steer you away from making this dish. Another way to up the flavor profile here is to use a dry white wine along with the chicken broth, so when we want to add that richness, we will replace the additional half cup of broth with a half cup of white wine. A few pats of butter, a little salt and pepper and within a matter of minutes we’ve created a luxurious sauce that everyone will want to lick off of their plates.
Rustic meals like this one are actually fairly elegant. These simple ingredients handled in just the right way can make a meal something rather extraordinary, and that is one of the reasons why we love this dish. Serve it with a side salad or some veggies, or add some carbs or starch with pasta or rice. Expect to hear some mmm-mmmms as folks devour this amazing chicken with garlic sauce…dare we call it gravy? It’s really that good!
Chicken With Savory Garlic Sauce
1 hour 15 minutes
- 1.5 pounds skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 full heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place rack in center of oven.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear chicken on both sides until browned. Transfer chicken pieces to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and sauté until just browned, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over garlic pieces and stir until flour is incorporated. Return chicken pieces back to pan, cover and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from oven and place on a burner set to medium-high heat. Use caution as skillet will be hot. Remove chicken pieces and whisk in chicken broth, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and black pepper, heat until just simmering. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often.
- Add butter to sauce once it has thickened. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste. Return chicken to skillet to rewarm. Spoon sauce over chicken to serve.
Recipe adapted from Seasons and Suppers.