I love garlic. So much so, that when I see a recipe call for 2-3 garlic cloves, I’ll often throw in an extra clove or three. For those who are in the same, garlic loving boat, this recipe is for you.
This lasagna soup recipe is a bit of a twist on the traditional, red meat sauce lasagna, opting instead for alfredo sauce and veggies. Don’t let this meatless meal deter you! I promise it’s plenty filling on its own. But, if you really want that added protein, go ahead and throw some chicken in there.
To get things started, you’ll roast a head of garlic. That may sound like a lot of work, but it’s actually quite easy. Simply slice the top off of a head of garlic, drizzle with oil, and wrap in tin foil. Bake at 375 for around 45 minutes, and there you have it. The nice thing is, the cloves pop right out when you squeeze the skin ever so slightly.
Once the garlic is roasted, combine with the alfredo sauce and puree with an immersion blender. Don’t have an immersion blender? No problem! You can use a regular blender, or even a food processor. Make sure not to fill the regular blender or food processor too full! It’s best to work in smaller batches.
It may be a few extra steps in the beginning to get the roasted garlic and alfredo sauce, but it’s so, so worth it. The thick, creamy alfredo infused with real roasted garlic is the base for this tasty soup. Add in butter, chicken stock, and flour, and you’re halfway there! Mushrooms, onions, cheese, and lasagna noodles tie it all together, along with a few surprising seasonings, like nutmeg and red pepper flakes. This is sure to be a staple during the cold fall and winter months!
Roasted Garlic Alfredo Lasagna Soup
1 hr 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1 (16.5 oz) jar Alfredo sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4-6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into quarters
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To roast the garlic, preheat oven to 375°F. Slice top from head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Squeeze cloves from skins to use.
- Puree roasted garlic and Alfredo sauce together using an immersion or regular blender. Set aside.
- Add half of the butter to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until brown and softened, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pot, followed by the onions. Cook until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook one minute more.
- Gradually stir in 4 cups chicken broth, followed by the half and half. Pour in the garlic/Alfredo mixture, along with garlic powder, basil, red pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in lasagna noodles and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until noodles are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in Parmesan, mushrooms and chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If soup is too thick, add more chicken broth. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Little Spice Jar.