I went through a pretty serious “ham and cheese party slider” phase. You know those little baked sandwiches using Hawaiian rolls and melted butter poured over the top? Well, for a while, I couldn’t get enough of them and served them for every party. No one was complaining though, because they’re delicious and buttery and easy to love. But now it’s time to change things up a little. Here’s the same concept, but on crackers so they’re just as buttery, just as delicious, but a little more bite sized. I think I might be about to enter another serious party sandwich phase.
So whaddya need?
Two sleeves of Ritz, or another butter cracker. (Yes, store brand is totally fine.) Then, ham, Swiss cheese, butter, and Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, poppy seeds, and minced onion. Doesn’t make sense yet? It will.
Line half of those crackers up in a baking dish and top each one with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. And then top them with another cracker. That’s the sandwich part. (You probably could have guessed this far.)
Then comes the true beauty. Remember that butter? You melt it. Then you stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder into it. And then you pour it allllllll over those lovely cracker sandwiches.
Sprinkle them with poppy seeds and minced onion and pop the whole thing in the oven. The butter sinks down into the crackers so they get even more buttery and crispy, the cheese melts, the onion bits get fragrant… Trust me, it’s just a thing of beauty. And it’s certainly the perfect bite-sized party snack.
Ritz Cracker Party Sandwiches
10m prep time
10m cook time
- 48 Ritz crackers
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place half of the crackers in a 9x13-inch baking dish, flat side down.
- Tear ham into small strips and fold and place on each cracker.
- Cut cheese into 1-inch pieces and place one on each piece of ham/cracker. Top with another cracker to form a mini sandwich.
- Stir Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder into the melted butter, then pour evenly over the cracker sandwiches.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds and minced onion evenly over the top.
- Bake until cheese has melted and tops are golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Gift of Hospitality.