Light Breakfast Recipe: Blueberry-Maple Muffins
Are you on the lookout for a healthy alternative to a classic recipe? These blueberry-maple muffins are delicious AND good for you!
While the word “muffin” may bring to mind images of the extra extra-large, sugar-loaded treats you’ve seen in the Starbucks snack display case, this recipe couldn’t be more different. Saturated fat is knocked out by replacing butter with canola oil, and maple syrup adds most of the sweetness. These muffins also contain 4x the dietary fiber of traditional variety thanks to the addition of flaxseeds and whole-wheat flour! How’s that for a healthy alternative? Read on for this amazing recipe…
(makes 12 servings)
- 1/3 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk or “sour milk” (made by mixing 1tbslemon juice or vinegar with 1 cup milk)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400∞F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Grind flaxseeds in a spice mill (such as a clean coffee grinder) or dry blender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; whisk to blend. Whisk eggs and maple syrup in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell.SKM: below-content placeholder