Who knew a healthy breakfast could taste like dessert?!
We love sweets for breakfast, and these chocolate-chunk filled breakfast bars certainly taste like dessert. But here’s a secret: we swapped a few traditional ingredients for healthier options, making these bars a stellar way to start the day!
Instead of butter we used coconut oil, a heart-healthy fat capable of lowering bad cholesterol. We cut back on regular flour by adding fiber-filled oats and quinoa, and a healthy dose of greek yogurt keeps these baked goods tender and moist, all the while adding extra protein that keeps us fueled all morning. The best part is our family doesn’t know how nutritious their breakfast is – they really are that good!
Chocolate Chunk Quinoa Breakfast Bake
Serves 12 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, optional
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat coconut oil and Greek yogurt together until combined, then mix in sugars.
- One at a time, beat in eggs (waiting for the first to be fully incorporated before adding the second), then mix in vanilla extract.
- Stir in quinoa, then, working in batches, add in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and coconut, if using, and pour mixture into greased baking dish. Smooth over the surface, then place dish in oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are brown and pulling away from the sides of the dish, and center is still slightly soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from I Heart Eating