Put your waffle iron to good use and check these out!
We’ll let you in on a little secret…. waffles don’t always have to be sweet, and in fact savory waffles give the sugary, syrupy kind a run for their money! We recently found ourselves with a large quantity of leftover mashed potatoes, and got to thinking of new and exciting ways we could jazz them up. Well we hit the jackpot with this recipe! These waffles cook up super quick, and can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, depending on the toppings you choose. So the next time you have leftover mashed potatoes, pull out the waffle iron and give this recipe a try, we bet you’ll love them as much as we do!
Cheesy Mashed Potato Waffles
Serves 2-4; 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus more, as needed)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- sour cream, garnish
- Preheat waffle iron and liberally grease is with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 200º F if keeping waffles warm after cooking.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, buttermilk, eggs and vegetable oil until combined, then fold in cheddar cheese and chives.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Gradually mix flour mixture into potato mixture until just combined. Potatoes should stick together; if mixture is too dry, add another egg; if it’s too wet, add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time) until mixture holds together.
- Using a large spoon, scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into greased waffle iron, smoothing it into an even layer before closing the lid.
- Close lid and bake until waffles are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from waffle iron and place in preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Serve waffles with chives and sour cream - enjoy!