We bet you’ve never had taquitos quite like this before!
We love basically any type of Mexican or Tex-Mex-inspired food, taquitos being no exception. While we’re used to having them as a standalone dish, served up with some rice and beans, we grabbed a bunch on our last grocery run and thought we’d try doing something a little differently….
As you probably already know, we love a good casserole – can’t beat throwing a bunch of yummy stuff into a dish and calling it a day – and thus, the taquito casserole was born. Filled with, you guessed it, taquitos, fresh veggies, and lots of spices, we loved this creamy take on a Tex-Mex classic. You could add rice or beans to the dish itself, but we think it’s pretty delicious as is!
Cheesy Chicken Taquito Casserole
Serves 4-6; 45 minutes
- 20-25 frozen chicken taquitos
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, diced tomatoes, onion, red peppers, sour cream, green chilies, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined, then spread a thin layer of sauce evenly in bottom of pan.
- Add an even layer of taquitos to the pan, cover with remaining sauce, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with pepper jack cheese. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from SparkPeople