Our love for pies is strong, as you’ve probably gathered by now, but we didn’t really realize just how excited we could get about a new (to us) discovery. Perfectly imperfect, chunky graham cracker crust, lightly sweetened cream cheese filling, topped with a jewel-colored, homemade raspberry jam layer…this raspberry cream pie is almost too good to be true!
Not only does this pie taste amazing – it strikes just the right balance between sweet and tart – but it also will make you feel like a total master of the kitchen when you make it. It’s almost a completely from-scratch cake (- totally from-scratch if you use homemade whipped cream instead of frozen whipped topping) and there’s something so satisfying about making the crust and the raspberry jam yourself.
It seems like we’re always making one cream cheese filling or another, so that’s a little less impressive to us, although it tastes great, but that jam! It’s so pretty and it comes together in under 15 minutes on the stove. You want to make sure it doesn’t come to a boil, stirring it continuously until it thickens, then you take it off the stove and let it cool before spooning it over your pie.
Hopefully we’re not alone in this, but when we make something that turns out beautifully, looking just as good as it tastes, we get so excited! It’s a fun sense of accomplishment that brightens our day and makes us happy knowing we can share it with our family. This pie did that for us and it’ll do it for you too when you make it!
Raspberry Cream Pie
Serves 8-10; 35 minutes
- 2 cups (about 1 sleeve) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Raspberry Topping:
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water, divided
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a deep, 9-inch pie pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt and melted butter until mixture resembles damp sand. Press mixture into greased pie pan, then place in oven and bake for 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt, then whisk in 1/2 cup water.
- Once everything is combined, whisk in remaining water, corn syrup and raspberries. Cook, stirring continuously, until thickened, making sure mixture does not come to a boil.
- Once thickened, remove mixture from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in softened frozen whipped topping and powdered sugar until combined, then beat in vanilla extract until incorporated.
- Spread cream cheese filling over cooled graham cracker crust, then carefully pour or spoon raspberry topping on top of cream cheese layer.
- Smooth into an even layer and place in refrigerator to set. 2-4 hours.
Recipe adapted from Life In The Lofthouse