Are you ready for a brilliant and delicious twist on the classic Philly cheesesteak sandwich? This pasta skillet version packs all of the flavors we love – beef, mushrooms, green pepper, and provolone cheese, while also adding another element of creamy cheese sauce. Add in pasta, and what’s not to love about this quick and easy dinner? I don’t know about you, but my family loves pasta. There are only so many ways to serve up noodles and meat, or so I thought. Having this meal on hand is total game-changer!
To prepare this recipe, you basically go through all the same steps of preparing spaghetti and meat sauce, with a few added ingredients. Start by cooking the pasta. While the water is boiling, go ahead and toss the ground beef into the skillet along with the veggies. Then, move on to the creamy, cheesy sauce. You’ll prepare a roux, which is the classic base to most creamy sauces. Mix flour and butter along with milk and half-and-half. Then, stir in provolone. This makes for a decadent sauce to pour over your beef and pasta mixture.
If you’re looking to add a new family favorite meal into the dinner rotation, look no further than this Philly Cheesesteak Pasta! It’s simple enough to make on those busy weeknights but different and flavorful enough to feed a crowd if you have guests over.
Go ahead and check out the easy recipe below. If you’re a fan of the classic sandwich, then you’ll definitely love this carb-loaded, creamy, cheesy version. It’s truly comfort food at its finest!
Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
30 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 10 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup provolone cheese, diced or shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, place beef, salt, and pepper into a large skillet. Brown the hamburger until cooked.
- Toss mushrooms, green pepper, and onion into the pan with the beef. Cook until veggies are tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk and half and half. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Toss cooked pasta with the cheese sauce and half of the beef mixture. Top the pasta with the other half of the mixture and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Recipe adapted from Dinner at the Zoo