Once the holidays roll around, it’s inevitable that we’re going to try to get as much peppermint as physically possible into our bellies. Whether it’s in our hot, morning beverage or in our afternoon snack, there’s no bad time for this minty goodness. Not only are we bringing you the perfect seasonal dessert here, this also happens to be a ridiculously easy recipe that always, always delivers; these candy cane truffles are adorable and are just what you need to get into the spirit of things…make ‘em and see for yourself!
Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 candy canes, crushed
- Warm heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat until just scalded. (Before it boils, when little air bubbles appear around the edge of the saucepan.)
- Place chocolate chips in a large bowl and pour hot cream over them. Whisk until totally smooth and melted.
- Stir in peppermint extract, then pour melted chocolate into a shallow dish and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until chilled.
- Use a spoon or a melon baller to scoop out truffles. If using a spoon, roll truffles between your palms to create a ball, then roll them in crushed candy cane.
- Repeat with remaining chocolate, then transfer truffles to fridge to chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray