When we first think of fall we think of pumpkin and pecan pies. There’s something about the drop in temperatures and the changing leaves that immediately puts us in the baking mood…cuddled up inside with a cup of coffee and a slice of pie? Yes, please. We knew we wanted to make something in that vein this past weekend, we just weren’t sure if we were going to take the traditional route or not…unsurprisingly, we decided to take the plunge and do something totally different: pecan pie FUDGE.
Yup. It’s got all the same ingredients you’d expect to find in the pie version, with the addition of white chocolate chips, and it tastes incredible – we even threw some pie crust in there for added flaky goodness! We like our fudge to be extra dense, so we used an 8×8-inch baking dish, but feel free to tweak the measurements if you’re going to use a 9×13-inch dish. If you like pecan pie even the tiniest bit, you need to make this fudge. It’ll blow you and everyone else away, and is a great recipe to have up your sleeve when party season rolls around!
Pecan Pie Fudge
Serves 12-16; 45 minutes
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 3 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped, toasted
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line a square baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Unroll one pie crust and cut out a square the same size as your baking dish. Place crust in dish, then poke all over with a fork.
- Place baking dish in oven and pre-bake crust for 10-12 minutes, or until light golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine corn syrup, evaporated milk, maple syrup, chocolate chips and brown sugar, and mix everything together.
- Once mixture has melted (stir continuously), mix in vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour mixture over pre-baked crust, then top with chopped pecans, pressing nuts gently into the fudge so they adhere.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate fudge until set, then slice into squares and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Crazy For Crust