It’s no secret that we have an affinity for all things pecan here at 12 Tomatoes. From pies, to candy, to cakes, and cookies– if it’s got pecans, we have to try it. After making some seriously tasty Coconut Chewies recently, we got to thinking that a pecan version of the chewy cookie bar might just knock it out of the park. So into the kitchen we went to give ‘em a try. And ya know what? They were even better than we expected!
You’ll need only eight simple ingredients for these Chewies, most of them pantry staples. To start things out you’re going to melt the butter. We opted to do this in the microwave for ease, but this could also be done on the stove. Once the butter is fully melted (and still warm!), stir in the sugars and vanilla until smooth and fully combined. You’ll then add the eggs, and finally the dry ingredients.
The last step will be folding in the chopped pecans. They don’t need to be powder fine, but you do want them in small pieces to ensure your bars bake evenly. Spread the batter into a prepared baking dish and pop them in the oven for half an hour.
Get ready for our kitchen to smell absolutely incredible as these bake. Toasty pecans and sugar, what could be better! As hard as it might be, we recommend letting the bars fully cool before cutting into them. They’re chewy in nature and will hold their shape better once they’ve cooled off. Add them to your holiday baking list or whip them up as a bake sale treat, they’re bound to be loved by all, no matter the season!
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat butter in 15 second increments until fully melted. Add both sugars and vanilla and beat until smooth, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Fold in the pecans.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through the center.
- Allow chewies to cool before cutting.
Recipe adapted from Addapinch.com