There’s just no arguing it – peaches and cream is a classic combination, and for good reason. It’s a duo that can do no wrong and that’s exactly why we’ve taken it and honored it in cake form. Our Peaches and Cream Cake is casual fare but totally alluring in its sweetness and the flavor of fresh, juicy peaches topped with silky cream cheese and a little cinnamon sugar, all supported by a base of moist vanilla cake.
I think this might be heaven in cake form. It’s not a cake that’s so much about the cake, if that makes sense. It’s more about the fruit and sweet peach-flavored cream cheese topping but all of that is held up by that bottom layer of cake. They all work together to achieve greatness – it’s not too cakey, it’s not too fruity and juicy… everything evens each other out.
This is a fairly moist cake so baking it in a springform pan is the way to go. You can use a regular cake pan but you’ll have to cut and serve from the pan if you go that route, there’s no hope of unmolding it intact without a springform. Not that you’ll mind if this looks a little messy… one bite is enough to forget all about anything else.
Peaches and Cream Cake
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (3 oz) package non-instant vanilla pudding
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (29 oz) can sliced peaches, drained, chopped, and patted dry (reserve 3 tablespoons juice)
For the cream:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons reserved peach juice
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease the sides and bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter, egg, and milk with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and pudding mix and beat 2 minutes more.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 10 minutes.
- While cake bakes, make the cream topping:
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and peach syrup until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and top with peaches. Spoon cream filling over peaches, spreading it to the edges.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top and bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Tastes of Lizzy T.