Are you looking for that creamy, dreamy dessert that makes use of gorgeous summer fruit and keeps everyone coming back for more?? We thought so. While people go nuts for fresh berries or rhubarb, our favorite summer fruit to stock up on (and make sure it lasts us through winter!) are peaches. Whether we use them in jams, cakes, tarts or breads isn’t totally irrelevant, but we just love peaches so much we could – and would – eat them in just about anything! Especially in this peach delight recipe…and it really doesn’t get more delightful than this!
Let’s start with the crust. This is a walnut-graham-cracker hybrid crust and we couldn’t have been more pleased with how it turned out. You’re welcome to use pecans if that’s what you have, but we loved the flavor of the walnuts and thought they rounded the dish out really nicely. Also. You might see that we used two sticks of butter to make the crust and think that’s excessive; you could use less, but we find that that’s just the right amount to keep all the ground cookies and nuts together, so you’re crust is intact when you cut your slices. You can use less if you want, although we wouldn’t use fewer than 8 tablespoons butter, but you can’t beat the flavor you get from this tasty crust! And we haven’t even gotten to talking about the filling!
Ah, the filling. Cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract are all you need, which you spread out over your crust before topping it all off with your beautiful summer peaches. Then a healthy coating of frozen whipped topping or homemade whipped cream goes on top and you’re in business. We typically leave it in the fridge for a couple hours to set, but understand if waiting too long is just torture and you want to dig in immediately. We’ve all been there, it’s okay. Once you’ve assembled this you’re in the home stretch and the end is in sight! You’ll be so rewarded when you finally dig into this – everyone we’ve made it for has fallen head over heels for it, so we’re pretty sure you will too, you’ll see!
30 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 2 cups (about 2 sleeves) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, ground until almost smooth
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 8 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (16 oz.) box powdered sugar, roughly 4 cups
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 (8 oz.) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350º F and set a 9x13-inch baking dish at the side of your workstation.
- Combine graham crackers crumbs with ground walnuts and whisk in melted butter, stirring until mixture resembles damp sand.
- Transfer mixture to greased baking dish and use a flat-bottomed tool (we use a measuring cup) to press crumb mixture into an even layer.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat cream cheese until softened and smooth, then beat in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Spread cream cheese filling over cooled crust, then arrange peach slices on top of the filling.
- Gently spread frozen whipped topping over the peaches into a smooth layer, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Top with more graham cracker crumbs, optional.
Recipe adapted from Frugal Mom Eh!