There is so much to love about silky, velvety cheesecake… except maybe that it can be kind of tricky to prepare. But not this one! This Lemon Souffle Cheesecake uses just four ingredients (five if you count the sprinkle of powdered sugar at the end) and has a delicious light and airy texture that’ll make you think of souffle with a silky cheesecake bite. So start your mixers – this one is easy enough that even novice bakers can handle it and everyone needs this lemon flavor in their life.
This is a crustless cheesecake and the filling has no flour, so the whole thing is naturally gluten free. It relies on just four simple things to come together – lemons, eggs, cream cheese, and sweetened condensed milk. The key to getting this amazing texture is in separating the eggs and whipping the egg whites into stiff peaks – that’s what adds the airiness to the heavier cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. If you don’t have much egg white whipping experience, don’t let it intimidate you… Just start with a clean bowl, try to keep any yolk out of your whites, and have patience while you whip – they’ll turn white and stiffen up soon enough.
Thanks to lemon zest and lemon juice, this has plenty of bright citrus zing, and the fluffy but creamy texture is uniquely yummy. While it does help to use a water bath when baking like with traditional cheesecake, it’s much less prone to cracking and breaking. In other words, it’s a rather forgiving cheesecake – and it only takes four ingredients to get all that deliciousness!
4-Ingredient Lemon Souffle Cheesecake
15m prep time
45m cook time
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut a circle of parchment paper to line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan and a 3.5-inch strip to line the sides. Line pan and set aside.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into separate bowls. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add condensed milk and beat one minute more.
- Add egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until well combined, about 2 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. Add remaining egg whites and gently fold until no white streaks remain.
- Transfer batter to prepared springform pan and gently tap on counter to release any air bubbles.
- Place an empty baking pan on lower rack of oven and pour in 2 cups of boiling water. Place cheesecake on middle rack above the pan with water.
- Bake 45 minutes. Turn off oven and let cake cool in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove sides of springform pan and gently remove parchment paper. Let cool completely and chill until ready to serve.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sweet and Savory by Shinee.