Our No-Peek Chicken was a fast favorite and it’s easy to see why – it’s a comforting and delicious dinner solution that requires just a handful of ingredients and virtually no effort from the cook. (So, basically the holy grail of recipes.) With such an easy preparation method and equally great flavor, we figured it was high time we took that same technique and tried it with a different protein, so now we have No-Peek Pork Chops too! We’ve added one more ingredient to bump up the flavor even more, but it’s still an effortless and super tasty one-dish dinner that you and your family will love.
Like the original, this still uses a handful of ‘kitchen shortcut’ ingredients for a flavorful dinner that’s easy on the cook, we’ve just added in one more thing – a packet of onion soup mix. While the two varieties of canned soup transform the rice into a creamy and tender base, the onion mix adds more of a savory depth. (And it doesn’t take any extra work on your part.)
You’re just mixing the rice with those two soups, the onion packet, and some broth or water and then nestling the pork chops on top of that base. A generous seasoning of the meat really helps things along here, and while regular old salt and pepper work fine, a seasoned pepper blend is extra nice.
All that’s left to do is cover the dish tightly with foil and pop it into the oven. It cooks for a good long while, but the oven does all the work – the rice becomes tender in all that flavorful, creamy liquid and the pork chops basically braise in it so they’re nice and moist. The fact that you’re leaving it alone and not peeking at it means that all that flavor and moisture stays in the dish, so dry protein is never ever even a possibility.
No-Peek Pork Chops and Rice
Serves 8; 5 minutes prep, 2 hours 30 minutes cook time
- 8 boneless pork chops
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup, chicken broth, rice, and onion soup mix to baking dish and stir to combine.
- Season both side of pork chops with seasoned pepper and a bit of salt and place on top of rice mixture.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake until pork chops are cooked through and rice is tender, 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Plain Chicken.