Keep your coleslaw light, crisp, and fresh with this combination of flavors.
Coleslaw is a staple at pretty much every barbecue that we’ve ever been to. It’s cool, crisp, and goes well either as a side or atop our favorite barbecued meats. Coleslaw recipes are simple, yet many of us have a go-to combination of ingredients that makes our particular slaw extra special. Most coleslaw recipes call for mayonnaise, but we thought about keeping our recipe more light and fresh. We’ve kept the main staple ingredients but went for a coleslaw that’s more crisp than creamy. We love this dressing, but the extra flavor and crunch from some special ingredients really take this coleslaw to a new level of deliciousness.
The core ingredients are all here, like cabbage and carrots, but we went ahead and added a little bit of nuttiness with pumpkin seeds and pine nuts, lightly toasted for an extra layer of delicious flavor. But the dressing is where this all comes together, and we love this combination of slightly sweet with a little vinegar tang. Shake in a mason jar or whisk in a bowl and pour over top the cabbage and pumpkin seeds. Give everything a good toss, coating all of the cabbage with fresh dressing. Give the coleslaw a little time in the refrigerator to chill and absorb all that delicious flavor from the dressing. You can’t have a good barbecue without a bowl of coleslaw on the side!
No Mayo Coleslaw With Pumpkin Seeds
Serves 4; 15 minutes
- 2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Place cabbage, carrots, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Place pumpkin seeds and pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat and warm until just toasty and aromatic, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour toasted pumpkin seeds and pine nuts over top of cabbage.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour over top of salad and toss to combine.
- Serve directly from bowl or transfer to serving platter. Garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food For My Family