In Italian “al forno” means “from the oven” and it’s another way to describe foods that are oven-roasted. And these mixed veggies al forno are cooked to perfection in the oven using just one pan and minimal ingredients. It’s a fresh and wholesome take on a side dish that goes well with just about anything.
For this recipe you’ll need 1 bell pepper, some butternut squash, 2 red onions, and some sweet potato. But, you can add more veggies into the mix if you’d like or switch out any that don’t suit your fancy. Zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale are all great when oven-roasted.
In true Italian fashion these vegetables are dressed vey simply with olive oil, salt and pepper, and some fresh thyme sprigs. There’s also 3 cloves of garlic but you can dial that amount up or down to suit your preferences.
It’s amazing how just a few simple herbs and spices can really bring these roasted veggies to life. Serve alongside any type of meat or fish for a fresh and balanced meal. It also makes a great side dish for family gatherings as it doesn’t take a whole of thought, yet adds a lot of color and flavor to the table.
The next time you’re wondering which vegetable side dish to make for dinner consider this easy al forno recipe for a healthy way to get some wonderful flavor.
Mixed Veggies al Forno
20m prep time
40m cook time
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Arrange vegetables, garlic, and thyme on a 9”x13” baking or roasting tray.
- Drizzle oil over the top and toss lightly to combine. Make sure vegetables are arranged in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until all vegetables are fork tender.
Recipe adapted from Taste.