There are some meals that just make you feel right at home and for many people pot roast is one of those comforting dishes. When done just right a good roast can make dinner the high note of the day. Traditionally this type of meal would have been served on a Sunday, but thanks to the slow cooker you can enjoy this meal even on a busy weekday night.
The flavor of the beef mixes perfectly with the spices and the unusual addition of pepperoncini peppers. And, in true Southern form, this Mississippi pot roast also gets big flavor from the addition of some ranch seasoning powder. It adds the best kind of spice profile: tangy and zesty without going overboard.
To start this wonderful recipe you’ll need to sear your roast- either a chuck roast or brisket. Doing this ensures that there will be some nice color and flavor on the meat. This translates in the end result, so don’t skip this step.
Next you’ll combine the bullion, flour, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, and ranch seasoning into a bowl. After placing the browned roast in the slow cooker, the umami flavor of this dish is deepened by the addition of soy sauce.
Once that’s all in then the spice mixture is poured on top. The final toppings are the pepperoncini peppers and some cubes of butter. To cook set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Here you can just walk away for most of the day. You can return to the cooker and spoon some of the gravy over the top every once in a while.
When the roast is done it should be meltingly tender and should shred easily using only two forks. Serve with a vegetable side and some potatoes and you have a Southern meal that’s incredibly easy to make, yet has no shortage of flavor. This roast would also be fantastic as the main ingredient in open-faced sandwiches.
The next time you’re wondering how to make a roast a bit more special, make this Mississippi slow cooker pot roast for a dose of comfort food that your family will ask for again and again.
Mississippi Slow Cooker Pot Roast
This recipe is so easy and good you can make it on a weekday.
serves 8; 20 minutes to prepare, 8 hours 10 minutes cook time, 8 hours inactive
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-pound chuck roast or brisket
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ranch seasoning powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- Sear meat in large pan using olive oil on medium high heat for 2 minutes each side.
- Crush bullion cube. Combine flour, garlic powder, bullion, paprika, pepper, and ranch seasoning in a small bowl.
- Place meat in bottom of slow cooker and pour soy sauce over meat. Sprinkle dry seasoning mixture on top. Add pepperoncini peppers and butter cubes on top of meat.
- Cook for 8 hours on low. Roast should be fork tender when ready.
- Shred meat and return to mix with the flavorful gravy. Serve with potatoes, rice, or vegetables.
Recipe adapted from I Heart Naptime.