It is often said that the simple things in life are the best, and this ice cream cake proves that point. With just four ingredients and a few minutes of effort, this no-bake treat is perfect for special occasions or your everyday dessert needs. (Because we all have those, don’t we?)
I love layered desserts like this because they incorporate so many textures into one dish. This one has a crunchy cookie base, a creamy layer of ice cream, velvety fudge, and a fluffier layer of whipped topping. It’s like a smorgasbord of taste and texture.
Upon tasting it, it’s a cake that seems like it took a lot of effort, but in reality, you only need four ingredients to make it – Oreo cookies, a carton of ice cream, a jar of fudge sauce, and a container of whipped topping. That’s it! The magic here is in how well these layers work together.
For the cookie crust layer, there’s no need to crush your cookies into superfine crumbs. Small chunks do fine and provide a bit of structure and bite to the creamy layers above it. For the ice cream layer, the key is to let the ice cream sit out for about a half an hour until it becomes soft enough to stir up. This allows you to smooth it easily over the cookie layer without disturbing it too much.
The only thing that’s hard about making this dessert is waiting for it to set up in the freezer. But, as they say, patience is a virtue, and trust me when I say that this sweet treat is well worth waiting for!
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
Serves 8-10 20 minutes active, 4-6 hours inactive
- 1 (1.75 qt) carton mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 (14.3 oz) package Oreo cookies, divided
- 1 (8-10 oz) jar hot fudge sauce
- 1 (8 oz) container whipped topping
- Remove ice cream from freezer and let soften at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- While the ice cream softens, take 3/4 of the Oreo cookies and crush them into small pieces. Layer the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with the Oreo pieces.
- When ice cream has softened, stir it until smooth and pour over Oreo cookies. Warm hot fudge and pour 3/4 of the jar over the ice cream. Place in freezer to chill until firm.
- Once ice cream and fudge are firm, spread whipped topping evenly over the top.
- Drizzle remaining fudge over the whipped topping. Crush remaining cookies and sprinkle over the top. Return to freezer until set enough to slice. Enjoy!