Are you in the mood for a cute little dessert that is loaded with deliciously sweet and tangy peaches?! There’s just something so light and summery about fresh, juicy peaches, don’t you think? Couple that natural sweetness with some cinnamon, brown sugar, and of course, butter, and you’re well on your way to a delicious treat for you and the whole family!
Start by preparing the pan. If you’ve ever made an upside-down cake before – be it pineapple, peach, or any other kind, this is the same process, just on a mini scale! Divide a tablespoon of butter into equal sections and place a section in each muffin cup, followed by a 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar.
Next, arrange 2-3 peach slices on top of the butter and brown sugar. Fresh peaches work best, but you can use frozen or canned too. Just make sure to thaw the frozen peaches or drain the canned peaches so there’s not a ton of extra liquid in the bottom of the cups!
Next, whip up the batter and fold in more peaches – diced this time. That’s right, these little cakes pack a ton of peachy flavor! The cinnamon and vanilla bring out the more earthy flavors while enhancing the natural sweetness of the dessert as a whole. Once you scoop the batter on top of the peaches in the muffin tin, bake for about 30 minutes.
You can top these cute cakes with ice cream or even drizzle on some pie filling! I suggest blueberry pie filling. Or, heck, you should probably do both. I mean, these are mini cakes, so you might as well go all out, right?
Mini Peach Upside Down Cakes
Makes 12 mini cakes; 15 minutes prep, 30 minutes cook time
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 peaches (canned or frozen are ok too)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Prepare the Pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the muffin tin by dividing the 1 tablespoon of butter into 12 portions, placing one portion in each of the 12 cups of the cups. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar into each cup as well.
- Slice 1-2 peaches into thin slices. Put about 3 slices into the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Cut the remaining peaches into small cubes. You should get about 1 cup of cubed peaches. Set aside.
To Make the Batter
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat the remaining 1/3 cup of butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat for another 2-3 minutes, or until well combined. The mixture should be fluffy and white.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the batter, beat for 1 minute. Stir in the buttermilk and beat for another minute. Pour in the remaining flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- Fold in the cubed peaches. Divide the batter into 12 muffin pan cups and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes. Place the wire rack over the muffin pan and carefully turn the pan upside down to remove the cakes.
Recipe adapted from Sweet and Savory by Shinee.