Give the spaghetti a break and try out this yummy orzo! We’ve already had it twice this week…
We’re always looking for weeknight dinner alternatives to pasta and we keep forgetting how much we love orzo! A rice-shaped, short-grain pasta, orzo is a perfect choice for cold, summer salads, but it’s just as good served hot…luckily for you, this dish can be served both ways!
Packed with robust Mediterranean flavors, this dish is perfect for lunch or dinner, plus, it’s easy enough to make for a casual family meal, while still being a lovely choice for when you have guests. We’ve already had it twice this week, so we’ll let you get to it – can’t go wrong with this one!
Mediterranean Lemon Chicken Orzo Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 1 cup kalamata olives, drained and pitted
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested (you only need 1/4 teaspoon zest)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat and brown seasoned chicken on all sides.
- Once browned, add in orzo, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon fresh oregano and Italian seasoning.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir everything together, then cover and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through.
- In a small saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat and add lemon juice, zest and minced garlic.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Remove baking dish from oven, cut chicken into small pieces and drizzle lemon garlic oil over the top.
- Toss everything together and serve hot or cold. Garnish with remaining fresh oregano and enjoy!
Recipe adapted fromBetter Homes And GardensSKM: below-content placeholder