When you walk into a party and you see a tiny crockpot set out with a little jar of toothpicks next to it, you know you’re in for a good time. Why? Well, that likely means that there are saucy little cocktail weenies OR saucy little cocktail meatballs inside and both are very good news. Who can resist those sweet and savory bite-sized morsels? Not me. And not anyone I know. But I have excellent news for you — there’s an even better cocktail appetizer you can make in your little slow cooker. It’s this — Meatball Pineapple Smokies! See, it combines both cocktail weenies AND meatballs AND pineapples too. It’s just as easy, just as saucy, and you get the best of both worlds.
What I love about this appetizer is that it’s no effort at all. I know a lot of recipes claim that — “This takes no work!” — but here it’s really true. All you’re doing is opening some packages and cans and stirring it all together. It really doesn’t get easier than that. And that’s especially exciting when the end result is something this delicious.
- A bag of frozen meatballs. I like beef, but pork, or chicken, or turkey work too. No need to thaw.
- A package of cocktail weenies. Like Lil Smokies.
- A can of of pineapple chunks. Drain it, so things don’t get too liquidy.
- A bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce.
- A jar of peach jam.
You might be more used to seeing grape jelly in this sort of application, but let me tell you, the peach and pineapple work wonders together.
You basically dump everything except the pineapple into a slow cooker (a little 3-quart one works perfectly) and then stir it together. Cover it, turn it on, and let it warm up for two hours or more, and then add the pineapple so it can heat up too. (You don’t want it to dissolve though, which is why it goes in last.) Set out some toothpicks and you’re ready to party! It couldn’t be yummier or easier.
Meatball Pineapple Smokies
5m prep time
2h cook time
- 1 (12 oz) jar peach jam
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 32 oz frozen meatballs
- 1 (14 oz) package mini cocktail weiners, such as lil smokies
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
- In the insert of a 3 quart slow cooker, stir together the peach jam and barccecue sauce.
- Add meatballs and cocktail weiners and stir to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high 2-3 hours.
- Uncover, stir in pineapple chunks, cover, and continue cooking until warmed through, about 20 minutes more. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Dinner Then Dessert.