When it comes to summer side dishes, it doesn’t get much more iconic than a classic coleslaw or macaroni salad. However, what happens when you combine the two and make a macaroni coleslaw salad?? Beautiful things, that’s what happens. By creating this hybrid side dish, you end up with an amped up recipe that provides more flavor and more substance – you won’t find yourself hungry a couple hours after eating this, that’s for sure. What makes it so yummy and filling, you ask? Along with the expected macaroni noodles and coleslaw mix, we also added celery, cucumbers, bell pepper and red onion, so you definitely get a full serving of veggies when you chow down on this bad boy.
Once you’ve got your filling taken care of, all you need to throw together is your dressing. With mayo and Greek yogurt as the base, we added some sugar (though you could easily swap in honey, if you prefer), apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. These additions brighten up the flavor and add some punch to the overall taste of the dish – it’s especially good if you have enough time to let the whole thing sit in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving, that way all the flavors have a chance to really build up and blend together. No worries if you don’t have the time though, this recipe is a winner either way!
Macaroni Coleslaw Salad
30 minutes to prepare serves 8
- 1 (16 oz.) box macaroni noodles
- 1 (14 oz.) package coleslaw mix
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cucumbers, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated, optional
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to packaging directions, or until al dente. Drain pasta, then toss with olive oil and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add coleslaw mix, celery, cucumbers, carrot (if using), bell pepper and onion to the bowl with the noodles.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and garlic powder, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing mixture into noodle bowl, then toss together until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving, or chill overnight.
Recipe adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron