While we’ve always had to choose between our two favorite dishes before (mac-and-cheese and cheeseburgers), now we don’t have to! Before you roll your eyes, allow us to elaborate; This dish is the equivalent of a tasty burger packed into a macaroni and cheese burger…that is, cheesy pasta creates the buns that so lovingly sandwich the ground beef and veggies. Don’t write this one off, folks, it’s a crazy delicious dish that gets people’s attention and keeps ‘em coming back for more – we love it!!
Mac And Cheeseburger
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to packaging directions, or until al dente, then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat, cook beef, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, until browned on all sides.
- Transfer to a bowl and drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon. Return skillet to heat and sauté bell pepper until softened. 6-8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper to browned beef and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until roux is smooth and paste-like.
- Slowly whisk in milk, then mix in cheddar cheese and cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper, dried mustard powder and nutmeg.
- Stir pasta into the sauce and stir until coated, then transfer 1/2 pasta to baking dish.
- Top with beef and veggies, then add remaining pasta on top.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the pasta, then place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until parmesan is golden brown and dish is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes