There is something so delicious about the original rice krispies treat – maybe it’s that unique sticky-chewy-crispiness that only they possess. Well these particular rice krispies treats have that same sweet texture, but they also have a whole lot more going on. They’re totally loaded with goodness! (Like crunchy salty pretzels and plenty of sweet melty chocolate, for instance.)
The process is pretty much the same one you might be used to – you’re melting some butter and marshmallows until they create a sticky but smooth mixture, and then you quickly stir in plenty of crispy cereal. In this case, though, you’re not just stirring in cereal, you’re also stirring in chunks of dark chocolate and pretzels.
You press that mixture into a pan and while it’s still warm and malleable you press more chocolate and pretzels into the top. A sprinkle of salt sets off that salty-sweet juxtaposition perfectly. Let ’em set, slice ’em up, and dig in! They don’t take any longer than your basic rice krispies treat; they just have a whole lot more goodies packed in.
Loaded Rice Krispies Treats
Totally jam-packed with salty sweet flavor.
Serves 9; 10 minutes to prepare
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 (10 oz) bag marshmallows
- 3 cups crisped rice cereal
- 3 cups pretzels, broken into chunks plus more unbroken pretzels for topping
- 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter and marshmallows in 30-second intervals until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add cereal and broken pretzels and stir until well coated.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly as to not melt chocolate, then stir in half of the chocolate. Working quickly, spread in prepared pan.
- Top with remaining chocolate, whole pretzels, and a sprinkle of salt. Cool until set, then cut and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Rice Krispies.