Potatoes are kind of magical, aren’t they? They’re such a humble little root vegetable, but you dress ’em up with some bacon, sour cream, and cheese and they taste amazing. (Or chop them into matchsticks and fry them and toss them with some salt… Or roast them until they’re crispy and toss them with some herbs… Or mash them with some cream and butter… You get the picture. They’re SO good.) Well this easy bake showcases all the glory of the potato. And all the goodness that goes along with it.
In one single baking dish, we’ve got potatoes, chicken, broccoli, bacon, and cheese, all folded into a creamy “sauce” and topped with more cheese and a little sprinkling of breadcrumbs for good measure. Don’t let that “sauce” fool you into thinking that there’s too much prep work required here. It’s really just some sour cream thinned out with some chicken broth, so it doesn’t take any effort at all, but still ensures that everything bakes in a tasty creamy base.
The baking time on this dish may be long, but that’s because you don’t have to spend any of your time blanching broccoli, boiling potatoes, or precooking chicken. It all cooks together in the oven, which leaves you plenty of time to do things besides standing over a stove. (You do have to cook up a little bacon… but that’s well worth it. A few minutes for crispy bacon? No problem.)
Loaded Potato and Chicken Bake
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 4 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 3-qt baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, chicken broth, garlic, parsley, and one cup of the cheese. Add the potatoes, chicken, broccoli, and bacon, and toss to combine.
- Scrape mixture into prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about one hour. Uncover, top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs and continue baking until breadcrumbs are crispy and cheese is bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from Kylee Cooks.