YummyvHealthy Recipe: Light Chicken Piccata
Today we wanted to feature a recipe that’s low in calories but high in flavor. The solution: a fantastic chicken piccata!
Many restaurants serve a chicken piccata that is absolutely drowning in a heavy, buttery sauce, and we wanted to find a way to lighten that up a bit. The trick was to lessen the butter and the wine, and add chicken broth instead. Lemon juice and capers added a powerful flavor kick without being overpowering…. The result is absolutely delicious and all under 250 calories! Serve this dish with a light arugula salad, or perhaps some whole wheat pasta. Keep reading below for this great recipe…
Light Chicken Piccata
(makes 4 servings)
- 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- Whisk 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place remaining 2 tablespoons flour and the Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Shake to remove excess.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown or no longer pink in the middle (2-5 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the shallots and white wine, and cook until reduced by half (this should take about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture and the lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until the sauce is thickened (about 5 minutes). Stir in the tarragon, parsley, butter, and capers.
- Serve chicken with a light salad or pasta. pour sauce over chicken.
- Calories: 216
- Carbs: 6.5 g
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Protein: 20.2 g
- Sodium: 801 mg
- Sugar: 1 g
Recipe adapted from Simply RecipesSKM: below-content placeholder