A fluffy bakery style muffin with a bright citrus zing.
When you buy a Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin from a bakery it seems to always have a perfect moist crumb with abundant sunny lemon flavor and that delicate crunch that is completely unique to poppy seeds, but I’ve always had a hard time recreating that exact muffin at home. Until now, at least! These Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a bakery style muffin through and through. The lemon flavor is natural but oh-so-bright and the Greek yogurt keeps things moist and brings in an almost creamy flavor to balance it out. I won’t say they’re the perfect muffin – because nothing is really ever totally perfect – but the fluffy crumb combined with the delicate pop of poppy seeds between your teeth comes pretty darn close.
Before trying this recipe, I had never thought to add Greek yogurt to a lemon poppy seed muffin, but it turns out to be an ideal addition. While you might think it would mute the lemon, instead it rounds it out into more of a creamy flavor and gives the most subtle extra yogurty tang. It does more than help the flavor though, it also ensures that these muffins are anything but dry.
What I love most about these muffins is that the lemon flavor here is true. There’s no extract involved, so the lemon tastes bright and natural and never artificial. And since there’s the zest and juice of two whole lemons in the batter, you can be sure that that flavor shows up well… really well, it’s a burst of lemon flavor at first bite.
Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
10m prep time
20m cook time
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Zest of 2 medium lemons
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons
For the glaze: (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a muffin pan with papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the melted butter, yogurt, milk, eggs, and lemon juice.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin liners, filling them almost to the top.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 14-18 minutes.
- To make the glaze, stir lemon juice into powdered sugar a bit at a time until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over muffins. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Baking a Moment.