Soups are a great lunch or dinner option, and they can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours to prepare. When we have the time, there’s nothing like a good, slow simmered soup to fill our home with savory aromas. But when we’re in a pinch, we love a recipe that comes together quickly, and still has great flavor. Our kale and white bean soup is just the answer to our quick soup needs. As a lunch or a simple dinner, this is a great meal no matter what time you eat it!
We know the cooler months are now waning, but there’s still room in our lives for a delicious bowl of soup. And a bowl of this particular soup is great for a light lunch or even just a small cup as a snack. While it might not seem like much, it’s actually fairly hearty; the kale and cannellini beans offer up great fiber and even a bit of protein, so it’s actually quite satisfying. But the healthy stuff isn’t what sells us on this meal – it’s the zip of lemon that really hits the tastebuds and makes this humble soup a stand out.
We like to bring this along to book club meetings or to prepare for a simple luncheon. The aroma is nothing short of wonderful, and fills our home with an inviting, savory warmth. Your guests will be convinced that you’ve been up since dawn preparing a delicious meal, when all it takes is a few ingredients thrown into a pot, a little stir, and that’s it! This pairs well with a side salad, but can also be accompanied by a thick slice of crusty bread to help sop up all the broth. Grab a cup or bowl and dive in to our wonderfully delicious kale and white bean soup.
Lemon, Kale and White Bean Soup
Serves 4; 40 minutes
- 1 bunch kale, removed from stems and chopped or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- ½ tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 cups (32 oz) vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butter; once butter is just melted, add herbs. Continue cooking until onions are golden in color.
- Add lemon juice and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 12-15 minutes.
- Add cannellini beans and kale. Stir to incorporate and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste, before serving.
Recipe adapted from Fork Knife Swoon