Lemon cookies are such fun to make. The bright, citrus flavor always puts a smile on my face. And, they’re perfect to have with tea. Most people make crinkle cookies around the holidays, particularly the chocolate variety. But, the lemon take on these cookies is every bit as delicious and they taste as good as they look.
What gives them their signature crinkled appearance is how they’re made. You roll the dough into balls and then coat them in powdered sugar. Then as they bake and expand in the oven the white parts coated in sugar contrast with the color underneath.
You can leave these with their pale yellow color from the egg yolk and lemon zest, but to really make those crinkles show up add a few drops of yellow food coloring to the dough. The sugar on the outside also means there’s no frosting involved. They’re so easy to make.
Because these cookies do expand in the oven you’ll want to leave at least 2 inches between each cookie so that they don’t run together. They can spread a lot in the oven so you want make sure the dough is nice and chilled before you roll it into balls. This dough needs at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before baking.
When these are all baked and ready you have very lemony cookies with a crispy-chewy texture. The flavor in these cookies comes from lemon juice, lemon zest, and then some additional lemon extract as well. Use fresh lemon for the best flavor since heat can change how citrus flavors come through.
This is the perfect lemon cookie and they look so beautiful. Next time you want a cheery treat look no further than these zesty lemon crinkle cookies.
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Makes 18 cookies
2h 20m prep time
12m cook time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 to 8 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 to 2 cups powdered sugar for coating
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and egg yolk and blend until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and food coloring. Add in dry ingredients and combine well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 400˚F. Pour powdered sugar in large bowl. Roll dough into 1” balls using hands. Roll dough balls in powdered sugar and place 2” apart on greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are set and centers no longer jiggle. Cookies will have crackled appearance. Allow to cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats.